2RRR 88.5 fm wed. 5pm. Sat, 12 noon
Design Elements: Lesley and Marianne will have you twisting by the pool with these great ideas about how to beautify your pool fence. Listen here to avoid planting problem plants that could interfere with your pool's plumbing.
Vegetable Heroes: Barley Grass. Barley is a cereal grain derived from the annual grass Hordeum vulgare. To grow Barley grass,
- Soak Barley Grass seeds for 12 hours, so overnight is good.
- Spread the seeds over seed-raising mix in a tray, much like the ones you see in nurseries containing potted colour or seedlings. The soil depth should be about 2 inches or 5 cm.
- Cover the seeds with a light coat of coco peat or vermiculite, or if nothing else, just some more seed raising mix.
- Water the seeds gently using a mister or spray bottle. Germination time is anywhere from 1 to 3 days. Keep the soil moist and watch the Barley grow.
- Place the tray in indirect sunlight either in a plastic bag or mini greenhouse.
- Cut the grass when it reaches about 7 inches or 18-20cms-that should be in about 3 weeks!
- Wheat grass or barley grass can be grown indoors behind a window or on a balcony or verandah in seed boxes.
Feature Interview: RWG talks to Ann Martin about the Talk and Walk series at the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney. "By Gum" is all about the some of the special Eucalypts, Corymbias and Angophoras that are growing in the Botanic Garden. If you missed the show, stay tuned for the walk next time round.
For info on Talk and Walk series http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/ or ring 9231 88304