|Battery operated line trimmers|
TOOL TIMEBattery Operated Garden Tools part 2
Last week, part 1 of the topic of battery operated garden tools was aired because there was so much to be said about them.
This week, it’s part 2 with a brief summary of what points that were touched on in part 1.
So, the new wave of garden tools are battery operated.
Let’s get into the topic
I'm talking with Tony Mattson, general manager of www.cutabovetools.com.au
Batteries for garden tools can be purchased as 3, 4, 5, and 6 Amp Hours.
|Battery operated lawnmowers don't leave a tread.|
Battery powered tools are easier to start, lighter, have no petrol smell, and best of all are much quieter and cheaper to run.
If you're wondering whether or not a battery operated lawnmower will cut through buffalo or kikuyu lawns. Tony says, no problem at all, and no tread marks on the lawn because the lawnmower is so much lighter.
If you have any questions for me or for Tony, why not write in to Realworldgardener@gmail.com or write in to 2rrr, PO Box 644 Gladesville NSW 1675.
- Cape goosebrerries can be grown in all parts of Australia, although they do best in temperate and subtropical areas, however, we can grow them elsewhere with a bit more care.
- The plant is a straggling bush up to one metre tall with yellow fruits inside a brown papery envelope.
- It’s a short lived perennial and can tolerate some frost so growing it further south shouldn’t be a problem.
- In colder climates treat the cape gooseberry as an annual, much like you would tomatoes.
- The time to sow Cape Gooseberry seed in every region except Tropical is now until December.
- For Tropical zones, March through to August is the time to sow seeds.
- If you sow the seeds in Spring and/or Summer you’ll get an Autumn harvest.
- They’re not fussy about soil types and even do very well in poor soils and in pots.
- The preference thous is for sandy to gravely loam.
- They need lots of water throughout the growing year, except towards fruit-ripening time.
- Water them regularly and, when they grow flowers, feed them every two weeks with a tomato food.
- Cape gooseberry plants get the same pests as what you’d get in your area from the common tomato. No surprises there.
- So it would be a good idea to plant them amongst your flower border where they will grow quite happily and confuse the nasties at the same time.
- Cut the stems straight across before placing them in a vase.
- Place them in water that has been filtered or standing for 4 hours so that all the chlorine has evaporated off.
- Throw in a few ice cubes to perk up your ranunculus flowers
- Flowers have a vase life of 8 - 10 days.