Brown Rot of Stone fruitThere’s plenty of cultivars of stone fruit trees that can fit into any size garden.
Trixie and Pixie dwarf nectarine and peach trees have been around for years.
“There’s even a nectarine tree classed as Super Dwarf called ‘ Peach Sunset” that is grafted onto super dwarfing rootstock to produce a more compact tree growing to around 1.5 m tall.
This Nectarine is self fertile so only one tree is needed.
- But before we get too carried away, what are the cons for growing stone fruit?
- Is deciduous a con? Possibly, because stone fruit tree are deciduous so if you don't like the bare look in winter, stone fruit trees are not for you.
- Do you need two trees for fruit set? Not always so do your homework.
- Preventative spraying for peach leaf curl and brown root of stone fruit may be needed.
- The bad news is, it's too late to do something about it now.
You may even have to open the centre of established trees a bit more than usual to increase air flow.
Still, the fruit I ate off my trees this year were super delicious and well worth growing your own stone fruit trees.