SPICE IT UP
Spices and herbs aren’t always used in the way you would think.
For example, this next spice you soak then throw away the spice and use the water.
Sounds strange but what’s even more strange, is that even though it has a sour note, you can make lollies out of it.
The tamarind tree, Tamarindus indica is perhaps not for suburban backyards because of it’s massive height. 18 - 20 m.
Be careful though when purchasing Tamarind for use in cooking because there are 3 types.
- Asian cooking: use tamarind paste which is flesh mixed with salt and water. DON'T USE for Indian cooking.
- Indian cooking-use the dried out tamarind pulp, soak that in water and macerate. Drain off the acidulated water and use in your Indian dishes, but throw away the pulp.
- You can also buy Tamarind concentrate which is the tamarind mixed with water, then boild down to a substance as thick as black molasses. Just use 1/2 teaspoon in your Indian dishes.
Ottolenghi uses tamarind paste in everything; it's one of his "secret" ingredients.
If that's not reason enough to get to know tamarind, we don't know what is.
Just get the dried pulp to use in cooking but be wary of using tamarind paste for Indian dishes.
If you have any questions for me or for Ian, email us at email@example.com.
Or you can write in to 2RRR PO Box 644, Gladesville NSW 1675
- Did you know that the Romans used to throw turnips at unpopular people? Maybe that’s why turnips got such a bad reputation?
- But back the UK in the early 1700’s a bloke called Charles Townsend made turnips popular in England. He did this by discovering that animals could be fed and fattened by eating turnips because they grew in cold and damp climates.That meant that farmers were able to keep their livestock instead of having to kill them all for winter because there was nothing to feed them on.
|Turnip seedling in my garden. photo M Cannon|
Let’s find out
I'm talking with Jeremy Critchley www.thegreengallery.com.au
The actual definition of a keystone species is a plant or animal that plays a unique and crucial role in the way an ecosystem functions.
Without keystone species, the ecosystem would be dramatically different or cease to exist altogether.
Perhaps you can’t be bothered with garden benches, tables and chairs and an old milk crate or just perching on a step will do.
Or you’ve got the good ole’ cast iron table and 2 chair setting which is terribly cold on the bottom, not to mention hard.
Things have moved on considerably in the last thirty of forty years though.
Let’s find out what’s Peter’s last word in garden seating.
I'm talking with Peter Nixon, principle of Paradisus Garden Design
Seating and lighting go together so rather than the awful floodlight stuck on the side of the garage, why not think about 12V lighting to compliment night time seating with your friends and family?