SPICE IT UP
MIXED SPICEThe name 'mixed spice,' sounds 'oldie worldie' to me because it's not something that comes up in too many recipes these days.
What is mixed spice?
Mixed spice has actually the following ground spices.
- Cinnamon-two types, Sri Lankan cinnamon and cassia cinnamon
- Ginger-to add brightness and freshness
- Cloves-a very small amount.
- Allspice-a spice all on its own which is actually a berry.
- Coriander seeds, ground of course. Coriander is an amalgamating spice.
But what do you use if you can find it on the supermarket shelves?
|Melting Moment biscuits|
Mixed spice quick alternative:
- Cinnamon 1 tablespoon
- Nutmeg 1 teaspoon
- Ginger 1 teaspoon
- Cloves 1/2 cloves
- Coriander 2 teaspoons
With the predominant flavor of cinnamon, it also makes a nice change to substitute this spice blend for anything calling for cinnamon for an added flavour boost.
If you have any questions you can email us Realworldgardener@gmail.com or write in to 2rrr, PO Box 644 Gladesville NSW 1675.